Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Scent of Pumpkin in the Air

Fall is upon us and may I say, I love fall. The cool breeze, flannel shirts, pumpkin flavored everything (including a delicious pumpkin frozen custard that I must go back to Vienna for!), and the changing leaves are some simple things of the seasonal life that I adore. I also love the cheesy decorations of smiling turkeys, dancing pilgrims, and friendly creeptastic creatures that accompany Halloween! I wish I could spend all day, everyday gathering decorations, eating muffins and pumpkin spice lattes, and being artistic in the great outdoors, but alas, life has slightly (and by slightly, I mean significantly more) stressful callings.

October this year not only means figuring out what to wear for Halloween, but where to apply for grad schools! Hurrah! Thankfully, I've had my list set for a while, but that doesn't mean I've really done my research on them. I have UVA done with for the most part, and am just waiting on a final okay from my advisor to submit my application. I've also moved onto the supplemental application for UMD-CP, and after paying my $75 application fee, am slightly offended by their essay question which blatantly asks for my minority status, financial situation, and whether or not I grew up in the ghetto. Am I the only one that finds this highly inappropriate? I realize all schools do this in one way or another, but I find surveys under "Biography" much less offensive than asking me to write my entire personal statement based on my race and my family's history of higher education. I know I already paid my $75, but I'm seriously reconsidering applying to Maryland if that's how they base their acceptances into their graduate programs... My next move is to really comb through Vanderbilt's website and see how compatible it is for me. For some reason, Vanderbilt appeals to me, but we'll see. I had a meeting with a close professor of mine in the special education department, and while she was very helpful, it left me even more confused at the same time. Eek.

I wish I had a lot more time to really look into these grad school programs, and I guess in theory I do, but working everyday at Panera just leaves me completely uninspired. I am so worn out by the end of the day and  your spirit just comes out a nasty gray blob. This is especially true when you have those few rude, bitchy customers that think your only purpose on this planet is to make sure that their sandwiches come onion free and the bread toasted dark, but not so dark that it's burnt, and could you make sure that the piece of cheese they put on the sandwich is perfectly round? And, why do I only have ONE free pastry item on my card? Shouldn't you give me an entire bakery for spending $4 here everyday?! If you're so angry, stop coming to Panera every freaking day and wasting all your money on things that will inevitably give you diabetes. I would gladly not see your face. Anyways, moving on.

While I've already graduated and finished my "senior year," I was expecting this year to be well, my senior year. But alas, life is just as boring as it was the other three years. I want to go on road trips to some place exciting. I want to waste evenings away eating and watching movies and being merry. I want my friends to act like seniors in college. I suppose I shouldn't have expected any huge transformations though... My bad.

I really meant for this post to be more exciting, but I guess it just came out as lots of whining. Oops. Woe is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment